17 Poisonous Plants

|17 Poisonous Plants
17 Poisonous Plants 2018-01-02T17:47:45+00:00

Here are the 17 poisonous plants for a dog:

Lilie

Members of the Lilium spp. are considered to be highly toxic to dogs. The poisonous component has not yet been identified. However, it is clear that with ingestions of very small amounts of this plant, severe kidney damage could result.

Marijuana

Ingestion of Cannabis sativa by pets can result in depression of the central nervous system and incoordination. As well as vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, increased heart rate, and even seizures and coma.

Sago Palm

All parts of Cycas Revoluta are poisonous, but the seeds or “nuts” contain the largest amount of toxin. The ingestion of just one seed can result in very serious effects. They include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, seizures and liver failure.

Tulip/Narcissus bulbs

The bulb portions of Tulipa spp. contain toxins that can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation, drooling, loss of appetite, depression of the central nervous system, convulsions, and cardiac abnormalities.

Azalea/Rhododendron

Members of the Rhododenron spp. contain substances known as grayantoxins. They can produce vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, weakness, and depression of the central nervous system in pets. Severe azalea poisoning could ultimately lead to coma and death from cardiovascular collapse.

Oleander

All parts of Nerium oleander are toxic. As they contain cardiac glycosides that have the potential to cause serious effects. Including gastrointestinal tract irritation, abnormal heart function, hypothermia and even death.

Castor Bean

The poisonous principle in Ricinus communis is ricin. A highly toxic protein that can produce severe abdominal pain, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, weakness and loss of appetite. Severe cases of poisoning can result in dehydration, muscle twitching, tremors, seizures, coma, and death.

Cyclamen

Cyclamen species contain cyclamine. The highest concentration of this toxic component is typically located in the root portion of the plant. If consumed, Cyclamen can produce significant gastrointestinal irritation, including intense vomiting. Fatalities have also been reported in some cases.

Kalanchoe

This plant contains components that can produce gastrointestinal irritation, as well as those that are toxic to the heart, and can seriously affect cardiac rhythm and rate.

Yew

Taxus spp. contains a toxic component known as taxine. Which causes central nervous system effects such as trembling, incoordination, and difficulty breathing. It can also cause significant gastrointestinal irritation and cardiac failure, which can result in death.

Amaryllis

Amaryllis species contain toxins that can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, anorexia, and tremors.

Autumn Crocus

Ingestion of Colchicum autumnale by pets can result in oral irritation, bloody vomiting, diarrhea, shock, multi-organ damage and bone marrow suppression.

Chrysanthemum

These contain pyrethrins that may produce gastrointestinal upset, including drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea if eaten. In certain cases, depression and loss of coordination may also develop if enough of any part of the plant is consumed.

English Ivy

Also called branching ivy, glacier ivy, needlepoint ivy, sweetheart ivy and California ivy. These contain triterpenoid saponins that, should pet ingest, can result in vomiting, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, and diarrhea.

Peace Lily (AKA Mauna Loa Peace Lily)

Spathiphyllum contains calcium oxalate crystals that can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing and intense burning and irritation of the mouth, lips, and tongue in pets who ingest.

Pothos
Pothos (both Scindapsus and Epipremnum)

Belongs to the Araceae family. If chewed or ingested, this popular household plant can cause significant mechanical irritation and swelling of the oral tissues and other parts of the gastrointestinal tract.

Schefflera

Schefflera and Brassaia actinophylla contain calcium oxalate crystals that can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty in swallowing and intense burning and irritation of the mouth, lips, and tongue in pets who ingest.

Thanks to ASPCA for the information on the 17 poisonous plants!

error: Content is protected !!